Careers Privacy Notice
At Avon we are committed to ensuring that your privacy and personal information is protected.
This Careers Privacy Notice explains what personal information we collect, why we collect it, how we use it and the procedures that we have in place to protect it. It applies to personal information we collect through our website and any applications for employment which come through the website or by other means.
In this Careers Privacy Notice, when we refer to "Avon", "us", "we" or "our", we mean the Avon group of companies which provide you with the Avon website and/or the Avon group company or companies that you apply to, and which are responsible for any personal information collected about you.
We will comply with data protection law and principles, which means that your data will be:
- Used lawfully, fairly and in a transparent way.
- Collected only for valid purposes that we have clearly explained to you and not used in any way that - is incompatible with those purposes.
- Relevant to the purposes we have told you about and limited only to those purposes.
- Accurate and kept up to date.
- Kept only as long as necessary for the purposes we have told you about.
- Kept securely.
In connection with your application for work with us, whether it is through our website or via other means, we will collect, store, and use the following categories of personal information about you:
- The information you have provided to us in your curriculum vitae and covering letter.
- The information you have provided on our application form, including name, title, address, telephone number, personal email address, date of birth, gender, employment history, qualifications.
- Any information you provide to us during an interview.
- We may also ask for additional information to assist us with our recruitment process and in the event you are offered a job.
- You may also share details of other people with us; for example, if you provide a reference. In those circumstances, you will need to check with that person that they are happy for you to share their personal information with us, and for us to use it in accordance with this Privacy Notice.
- Any other personal information you include in your interactions with Avon.
We may also collect, store and use the following types of more sensitive personal information:
- Information about your race or ethnicity, religious beliefs, sexual orientation and political opinions.
- Information about your health, including any medical condition, health and sickness records.
- Information about criminal convictions and offences.
We may collect personal information about you from other sources; for example, previous employer(s), your references, recruitment agencies and from providers of services that allow us to verify the details that you provide to us (for example, if we undertake identification checks). We try to collect as little personal information as possible during the recruitment processes; if you are successful, then we will undertake more detailed pre-employment vetting.
You may use social media to contact us about a career at Avon.? We use social media, job sites and online sites to find potential candidates for roles at Avon (thereby collecting some personal information about potential candidates from those sites).
Social media sites, job sites and similar online sites may have their own privacy policies explaining how they use and share your personal information. You should carefully review those privacy policies before you use these sites to make sure that you are happy with how your personal information is being collected and shared.
If you use social media and make your profile(s) visible to the public, we may review your social media profile(s). We do this primarily (though not exclusively) where it is relevant to the role you are applying for (for example, if you are applying for a role in our communications or sales teams).
We use “cookies” and other technologies on our website. The terms and conditions governing our use of "cookies" and such other technologies on our website are set out in our Privacy and Cookies Notice on the website.
We use your personal information in the following ways
- To assist any application you make to Avon, to assess your skills, qualifications and suitability for the role,
- To provide you with updates about your Avon application,
- To respond to your queries and requests,
- To communicate with you,
- If you have asked us to keep you informed of other opportunities at Avon, we may contact you to tell you about these for up to 12 months,
- To provide updates to you about any changes to Avon’s policies, terms and conditions and any other matters which we may need to tell you,
- To promote and monitor equal opportunities within Avon,
- To establish, exercise or defend our(or a third party's) legal rights,
- To protect the rights, property or safety of Avon, our employees, customers, suppliers or other persons,
- To assist in any disputes, claims or investigations relating to your application,
- To comply with our legal, regulatory and professional obligations,
- Otherwise for the lawful operation of our business.
Data protection and privacy laws require us to have a "legal basis" or "lawful ground" for handling personal information. This means that we have to have a legal justification for handling your personal information. Our "legal bases" for handling your personal information for the purposes set out in this Careers Privacy Notice are as follows:
- It is in our legitimate interests to decide whether to appoint you since it would be beneficial to our business to appoint someone to the role advertised.
- We also need to process your personal information to decide whether to enter into a contract of employment with you.
- Having received your CV and covering letter or your application form we will then process that information to decide whether you meet the basic requirements to be shortlisted for the role. If you do, we will decide whether your application is strong enough to invite you for an interview. If we decide to call you for an interview, we will use the information you provide to us at the interview to decide whether to offer you the role . If we decide to offer you the role we will then take up references and potentially carry out a criminal record checks before confirming your appointment.
If you fail to provide information when requested, which is necessary for us to consider your application (such as evidence of qualifications or work history), we will not be able to process your application successfully. For example, if we require a credit check or references for this role and you fail to provide us with relevant details, we will not be able to take your application further.
Where we collect and handle sensitive personal information (for example, medical information, racial or ethnic origin, or criminal records information), then we will only handle that information in the following ways:
- We will use information about your disability status to consider whether we need to provide appropriate adjustments during the recruitment process, for example whether adjustments need to be made during interview.
- We will use information about your race or national or ethnic origin, religious, philosophical or moral beliefs, or your sexual life or sexual orientation, to ensure meaningful equal opportunity monitoring and reporting.
- Where the law permits us to do so, to comply with our legal obligations or to exercise specific legal rights.
We only share your personal information as outlined in this Careers Privacy Notice or when you ask us to.
Sharing within the Avon Group
Some of Avon's processes, procedures and systems are shared across the Avon group, which means that we sometimes share your personal information with the companies in the Avon group when using it in the ways described above (in the section titled "How do we use your personal information?")
We share your personal information within the Avon group:
- Where it is in our legitimate interests to do so for internal administrative purposes, auditing and monitoring.
- Where certain group companies provide services to other group companies (such as our IT systems, data storage and recruitment processing).
Access to your personal information is limited to those employees (or other personnel) who need to know it to carry out their role.? Those personnel will be monitored to ensure that your personal information is not misused.
Sharing with third parties
We may share your personal information with certain third parties who provide services on our behalf. They only have access to the personal information they need to perform those services. They are required to keep your personal information confidential and may not use it other than as we ask them to.
The third parties who provide services on our behalf fall into the following categories:
- Third parties that host our website job application forms.
- Third parties that assist us with listing our jobs, to reach people who may be interested in Avon opportunities.
- Third parties that help us with reference checking if your application is successful, audit services, administrative services, IT technologies (e.g. data storage), security services and insurance claims.
- Third parties that help us with pre-employment checks and vetting of staff members (if your application is successful).
- Third parties that assist us understanding how our website works by setting cookies on our websites.
- Social media platforms who serve our job listings on their platforms.
We will also share your personal information with third parties:
- If we are required to do so by law.
- Where it is in our legitimate interests to do so to run, grow and develop our business (in particular, to facilitate group company restructuring, to sell any of the Avon companies or acquire or merge with other businesses).
- To respond to any claims, to protect our rights or the rights of a third party, to protect the safety of any person or to prevent any illegal activity.
- To protect the rights, property or safety of Avon, our employees, customers, suppliers or other persons.
We require those third parties with whom we share your personal information to apply the same level of privacy protection as is contained in this Careers Privacy Notice.
Once you have submitted an application to us, if unsuccessful, your application will be deleted from Avon’s database after 12 months.
We only keep your personal information for as long as we need to, to be able to use it for the reasons given in this Careers Privacy Notice, and for as long as we are required to keep it by law.
You have the right to access, update and amend personal information that we hold about you.? If any of the information that you have provided to Avon changes, for example if you change your e-mail address, name or postal address, you can update, amend or remove information that we hold by submitting a request to Avon. If you are using the form builder on our website application form please see their Privacy Notice on how to access, update and amend personal information they hold about you.
In certain circumstances, you can also:
- Object to our use of your personal information for certain purposes.
- Ask us to limit or restrict our use of your personal information.
- Ask us to correct, remove or delete personal information about you.
- Ask us to provide your personal information to a third party provider of services.
Please note that those rights do not always apply and there are certain exceptions to them.
If you would like to exercise any of your rights in relation to your personal information please contact us.
We have appropriate technical and organisational measures to protect your personal information. We use a combination of physical and IT security controls, including access controls that restrict and manage the way in which your personal information and data is processed, managed and handled.
In the unlikely event that we do suffer a security breach which compromises our protection of your personal information and we need to let you know about it, we will do so.
We will collect personal information from you in the country in which you live and from which you access the website. Any transfers of your personal information from one country to another will comply with the data protection and privacy laws which apply to us.
When transferring personal information to third parties outside the EEA, we will:
- Ensure that the country in which your personal information will be handled has been deemed "adequate" by the European Commission; or
- Include the standard contractual clauses approved by the European Commission for transferring personal information outside the EEA into our contracts with those third parties.
We may update this Careers Privacy Notice as and when necessary. The most recent Careers Privacy Notice will be posted on the website.
This?Careers Privacy Notice was last reviewed and updated in May 2018.